Medicine Hat College operates under the authority of Advanced Education.
Growing a vibrant future with learners and our region.
We thrive in a learning culture, bringing passion to our purpose. Through teamwork and diversity in our perspectives, we share our expertise. We lift each other up and build on each other’s strengths. We trust each other to always do our best. Aligned to a common purpose, our culture is the foundation that allows us to achieve our goals.
Stemming from our learning culture, these principles guide everything we do.
- AUTHENTICITY Mutual respect and honest, transparent, communication form the basis of our interactions. Accountability for our actions means we can be trusted to do our best work.
- COLLABORATION We promote partnerships, knowledge sharing, and working together to accomplish greater things. We recognize the importance of diverse perspectives; whether from inside or outside our walls, or in support of or challenging our ideas. Collectively, we shape our pursuits.
- ACTION We act with purpose. To do so, we are willing to take risks and allow for failure. We stay connected to the details while checking decisions and direction frequently. Ever vigilant, we ask questions, and when necessary, adjust our actions to be more impactful.
Medicine Hat College is a public, board-governed college operating as a Comprehensive Community Institution under the authority of the Post-secondary Learning Act of Alberta.
As a learner-centred institution, Medicine Hat College serves a diverse range of students in major areas of study including: liberal arts; business/commerce; health and human services; visual and performing arts; science and technology; apprenticeship and pre-employment trades; foundational learning and academic upgrading; and non-credit, lifelong learning and continuing education programs.
Medicine Hat College focuses on five primary types of programming:
- University transfer programs that prepare learners for further study.
- Certificate, diploma, and applied degree programs that prepare learners for entry to careers and employment.
- Collaborative undergraduate degrees delivered in partnership with degree-granting institutions.
- College entrance programming that prepares learners for success in further post-secondary studies.
- Pre-employment and apprenticeship trades programming that prepares learners for trades employment and careers.
Programs and services at the College are learner-centered and provide graduates with opportunities to improve their lives and advance their careers. Medicine Hat College emphasizes small classes, high-quality instruction, and excellent student support.
Students at Medicine Hat College are supported by a range of services that contribute to academic, social, and personal development. Student supports include library services, academic advising, disabilities services, learning skills development, cultural activities, career services, residence services, daycare, counselling, and recreation and wellness programs. These services are designed to benefit students by increasing their opportunities for success.
Medicine Hat College encourages scholarly activity and applied research to enhance teaching excellence and quality programming. The College also conducts scholarly activity and applied research to foster innovation in support of industry sectors where our academic expertise can contribute to economic and community development.
Medicine Hat College is a proud member of Campus Alberta. Our commitment to the principles of Campus Alberta is demonstrated through collaboration and partnership within the Alberta post-secondary system. This collaboration strengthens programming and increases access to quality learning opportunities through initiatives such as transfer credit and program brokerage.
By incorporating a global focus in our programming, serving a diverse range of Canadian and international students, and providing opportunities for work and study abroad, the College aims to provide all learners with opportunities to develop the skills and attitudes required to function successfully in an interconnected global society.
As a Comprehensive Community Institution with regional stewardship responsibilities, Medicine Hat College works with community-based adult learning partners such as school jurisdictions; non-profit, educational, and governmental organizations; business; industry; and other community stakeholders to respond to learning needs in its geographic service area of southeastern Alberta. Medicine Hat College responds to regional needs by providing customized training, professional development, English as a second language training, community interest courses, and conservatory-style music and dance instruction. Through our facilities and services, the College also responds to the information, cultural, recreational, fitness, conferencing, and community event needs of the communities we serve.
With campuses in Medicine Hat and Brooks, the College offers credit and non-credit instruction on a full-time, part-time, and distributed learning basis to students across Alberta, Canada, and around the world. Medicine Hat College programs are also provided internationally on the campuses of partner institutions.
Medicine Hat College is dedicated to providing access to high-quality, responsive, lifelong learning opportunities and to the responsible educational, fiscal, and environmental stewardship of resources.
Approved by Advanced Education, November 23, 2010