Medicine Hat College 2020-2030
MHC approached this strategic plan with an authentic commitment to ensuring that in the future, this college meets the needs of people in our region.
We looked at information about the population of the region, and other facts that shape our environment. We asked for opinions and thoughts about the future. We also asked about goals, dreams, hopes and fears.
Through every step, we listened. We heard people say that this college has an important role in that future.
The purpose of this plan is to embrace that role, and create new stories with the people we serve. Our goals and measures will ensure the college meets people where they’re at today, and in ten years’ time.
To the hundreds of staff, faculty, students, community members, and partners who offered their thoughts, thank you. Your ideas shape who we are as an institution, and as a region.Kevin Shufflebotham,
President & CEO
VIEW THE COMPLETE STRATEGIC PLAN DOCUMENT
How did we get here?
Our strategic plan defines our role in Southeastern Alberta, and establishes the college’s goals for the next decade. This plan sets the stage for strategic transformation of the college.
- GOALS are defined as the high level results we want to achieve. Ten years from now,MHC will look different than it does today.
- STRATEGIES are the actions we take to achieve our goals. Each unit within the institution aligns its plans to these strategies, so that the entire institution is working together toward the same results.
- MEASURES are the methods (the data) we use to track our progress toward our goals.They allow us to notice trends and adjust our actions to keep our goals in sight.
Our people, our communities, and our region are the heart of our plan. By beginning the planning process with a look at our region’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats, we grounded ourselves in the needs of the region. Using that information to identify the top issues that MHC must address, we’ve positioned ourselves to meet those needs. By engaging stakeholders to identify strategies that will meet regional needs, we are building the future together.
We thrive in a learning culture, bringing passion to our purpose. Through teamwork and diversity in our perspectives, we share our expertise. We lift each other up and build on each other’s strengths. We trust each other to always do our best. Aligned to a common purpose, our culture is the foundation that allows us to achieve our goals.
Stemming from our learning culture, these principles guide everything we do.
- AUTHENTICITY Mutual respect and honest, transparent, communication form the basis of our interactions. Accountability for our actions means we can be trusted to do our best work.
- COLLABORATION We promote partnerships, knowledge sharing, and working together to accomplish greater things. We recognize the importance of diverse perspectives; whether from inside or outside our walls, or in support of or challenging our ideas. Collectively, we shape our pursuits.
- ACTION We act with purpose. To do so, we are willing to take risks and allow for failure. We stay connected to the details while checking decisions and direction frequently. Ever vigilant, we ask questions, and when necessary, adjust our actions to be more impactful.
News & Events
MHC engages region in strategic planning process
Medicine Hat College (MHC) is launching a ten-year plan for the future by taking a deep look at the nature and needs of the entire region.
Connect with Us
Want to learn more about Medicine Hat College's plans for growing a vibrant future?
Morgan Blair, EdD
Executive Director, Talent, Culture & Strategy
Medicine Hat College