The MHC Conservatory offers group lessons, private and semiprivate instruction in all theoretical levels of music theory and history. Classes are designed to prepare students for either Royal Conservatory of Music (RCM) or Conservatory Canada (CC) theory examinations.
For new students, please complete and submit the Theory Inquiry Form.
The following theory classes are directed by Stephanie Schmaltz.
Levels 5 – 8
These classes cover the building blocks of music theory: notation scales, key signatures, chords, intervals, cadences, rhythm, and transposition.
Levels 9, 10, ARCT,
- Level 9: Introductory melody writing, basic harmonization, structural analysis of Baroque dances, and basic contrapuntal techniques
- Level 10: Melody writing including modulation, harmonization, harmonic and structural analysis of Baroque and Classical forms
- ARCT: Advanced chromatic harmony, modulation to remote keys, two part counterpoint and analysis
The study of structural and harmonic analysis of repertoire from the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Twentieth Century Eras
Levels 9, 10, ARCT
- Level 9: An introduction to music history through an overview of the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Modern Eras
- Level 10: Focus on the development of genres and forms from the Middle Ages, Renaissance, Baroque, and Classical Eras
- ARCT: Focus on the development of genres and forms from the Romantic and Modern Eras