For MHC Employees
Benefits of Working at MHC
What I love about MHC...
"I was only going to stay at Medicine Hat College for two years but instead I built my life here. I love the people. I love the students. I like to watch their journey in gaining knowledge. I love the challenge of every day because you don't know what it's going to bring."Dr. Terry Chapman
Dean, Division of Arts, Education & Business
31 years of service
Want to share the love? Email your story to email@example.com.
Why work at MHC?
There are lots of good reasons to work at MHC - great people, inclusive work environment, and the opportunity to help students succeed every day. As a college employee, you are also eligible to receive a wide variety of benefits, depending on your employment contract.
- Vacation entitlement coincides with the college fiscal year (July-June)
- Details of vacation entitlement can be found in the Collective Agreements/Terms of Employment.
- Medicine Hat College employees may be granted a professional leave with partial pay up to one year.
- Employees may also request a leave of absence without pay.
- Eligibility requirements, salary schedules, and leave criteria can be found in the Collective Agreements/Terms of Employment.
- An employee may receive a leave without pay for up to 18 months.
- Maternity/Parental Leave consists of Maternity (16 weeks birth mother only) and Paternity (62 weeks either parent).
- Details on Maternity/Parental Leave can be found at https://www.alberta.ca/maternity-parental-leave.aspx
Deferred Salary Leave
Employees may defer a portion of their salary for a minimum of two years to a maximum of six years. A leave of six months (minimum) to 12 months (maximum) must be taken immediately following the deferral period.
Please refer to the Deferred Salary Leave Policy for more details.
Benefits vary depending on the nature of your employment at MHC. The range of benefits includes:
Health & Dental
- Extended Health Care Plan
- Health/Wellness Spending Account
- Travel Outside Canada coverage
- Basic Group Life Insurance
- Optional Group Life Insurance
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Long Term Disability
- Workers' Compensation
All staff are encouraged to participate in professional development activities. Medicine Hat College provides its employees with many options for Training & Development.
- Faculty members have access to a fund known as the Professional Development Resources for Faculty. Please visit the VP Academic SharePoint site or contact your Dean for more information.
- Other staff may apply to the Staff Training and Development Fund. Please visit the HR SharePoint site to view the policy or contact your Supervisor for more information.
- Individual allotments as per Collective Agreements/Terms of Employment.
For more information, you may also contact the HR department.
Tuition waivers may be available to employees for courses taken at the Medicine Hat College. Waivers may also be available to spouses and dependents. Eligibility requirements can be found in the Collective Agreements/Terms of Employment.
Questions and information on eligibility for participation, or tax implications may be referred to our Human Resources Department.
Children may be enrolled in the program if they are between the ages of 19 months and 7 years of age, and if there is space available within the appropriate age group. When the upper limit is reached for the centre, or for a particular age group, a waitlist is created.
Priority for enrolment from the wait list is first come, first served, except that siblings of children already attending the program will normally receive priority for admission in the interest of family continuity, and the following order of priority will be given to:
- student parents
- college employees
- community families
Please note that parents on the waitlist who turn down a vacant space may be removed from a priority level on that list.
MHC students benefit from hands-on learning, and you can benefit too. Every group of apprentices in the automotive service program require access to vehicles to diagnose issues and solve problems. They welcome vehicles belonging to employees and family members whenever it suits the needs of the program.
Please remember that this isn't a commercial repair operation. Repairs will take extra time as students only work part of the day. All parts must be paid upon completion of work. Vehicles are selected based on the subjects being taught, parts and service information availability.
Please contact the program coordinator for more information.
At Medicine Hat College, our most valuable asset is our people. Each employee contributes to the success of the college and, ultimately, to the success of our students.
The annual Employee Recognition Celebration is one of the ways we applaud the contributions of our colleagues and share in their success.
Save the date!
The 2020 Employee Recognition Celebration is Thursday, April 30. The reception and award presentations will be held in Centennial Hall and the Eresman Theatre at the Medicine Hat campus.
Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
For more information on the services available, please click here, or call Homewood Health Inc. toll-free at 1.800.663.1142. Services are available 24 hours, 7 days a week. You may also contact Human Resources for more information.
Medicine Hat College
299 College Drive SE
Medicine Hat, Alberta