For MHC Employees
Centre for Innovation & Teaching Excellence
Our role is to lead the development of technology enhanced learning, manage and advance the use of the Blackboard system, train and support instructors in using Blackboard and other instructional technology at MHC.
Contact CITE for information on designing courses (from face-to-face, blended, and online), using Blackboard, video and photography used in the delivery of courses, or anything else related to the use of technology in course delivery. You can also arrange for personal or small group training in Blackboard and other instructional technologies used at MHC in The Sandbox, Room T203. This beautiful learning space hosts monthly programs on enhancing teaching practice, and if there is a topic you are interested in (or interested in presenting), contact Jason Openo (email@example.com).
Annual Report:Annual Report 2017
CITE strives to:
- Effectively integrate educational technologies and student-centered learning approaches in the physical and virtual classrooms of the college
- Serve as a resource to faculty to enhance, experiment, and assess active teaching methods
- Work with instructors in the design and delivery of rich learning experiences for MHC’s students
- Expand the range of instructional modes
- Work collaboratively and openly with many college partners to improve student achievement and faculty satisfaction
- Support faculty, students, and staff in the scholarship of teaching and learning.
We are digital specialists; intense gatherers of information who seek the best technology solutions. We connect people and ideas and develop pathways for sharing innovations across campus so we can get to better places. We ask good questions and practice and use a “show don’t tell” approach. We are determined learners; if we don’t know how, we research, play, experiment, and/or find someone who can teach us so we can teach others. We believe in “failing fast” in order to learn quickly and adapt to rapidly changing circumstances.
- training and support and
- design & development.
- Blackboard administration
- Collaboration with campus partners to optimize institutional resources dedicated to IT and faculty development
- Graphic design
- Instructional design and consultation
- Multimedia development
- Opportunities to engage in dialogue about the practice of teaching
- Showcasing local examples of high quality and innovative instructional efforts
- Training/In-class support
- Teaching technologies – research, analysis and implementation
- Video production
For assistance, you may contact anyone of "The Geeks" by phone or email, but you are also welcome to join us in the Sandbox (Room T203).
Located on the second floor of the T-wing by the trades instructor offices, you will find the best seats in the house! The Sandbox is home to a small computer lab for training that overlooks the serene teaching garden pagoda. Try out new tech tools or brainstorm ideas with our resident geeks in the Sandbox.
Geek on Location (GoL)
Have a busy schedule, but need some assistance with educational technology such as Blackboard or Course Outline Manager (COM)? Each week a Geek from the CITE will setup a temporary office in each of the division areas for your convenience!
For a schedule of GoL hours, please look for our posters hanging in your division or contact us.
Jason Openo, Director, Teaching and Learning
Joan Fleckenstein, Education Technology Specialist (Training)
Barbara Mitchell, Education Technology Specialist (Video)
Rene Hemenway, Instructional Designer
Andrea Woods, Graphic Designer and Multimedia Developer