For MHC Employees
at Medicine Hat College
Many of MHC’s employees are represented by one of two unions – the Alberta Union of Provincial Employees (AUPE) or the Medicine Hat College Faculty Association (MHCFA). These groups represent many of the individuals who teach, support students, and meet other operational needs of the college.
Collective bargaining is the process by which the terms and conditions of employment for these employees are determined. During negotiations, the college will develop and negotiate collective agreements with the AUPE and MHCFA.
To support the collective bargaining, Medicine Hat College is committed to transparency and will share updates throughout the process. Please scroll down to see our FAQ section.
About the Process
A typical collective bargaining process includes the following:
- A notice to commence collective bargaining initiates collective bargaining and can be issued by the institution or the union.
- Negotiations start with the exchange of opening proposals from both the institution and the union. This may include proposed additions, changes, or deletions relating to the current collective agreement.
- Bargaining teams representing the institution and the union meet for a scheduled series of negotiations. Each party is required to bargain in good faith and make every reasonable effort to enter into a renewal collective agreement. At any time during collective bargaining, either or both parties may request assistance from a mediator. If an agreement cannot be achieved through negotiations and an impasse is reached, there are a number of methods for resolving disputes in collective bargaining.
- When the bargaining teams have reached a settlement on a tentative renewal collective agreement, the agreement must then be ratified.
- Aug. 23, 2022 (informal mediation)
- Mar. 2, 2022 (Day 6)
- Feb. 1, 2022 (Day 5)
- Oct. 25, 2021 (Day 4)
- June 3, 2021 (Day 3)
- May 11& 12, 2021 (Day 2)
- Jan, 28, 2021 (Day 1)
- Sept. 29, 2022 (Day 11)
- Sept. 22, 2022 (Day 10)
- Sept. 15, 2022 (Day 9)
- Sept. 8, 2022 (Day 8)
- July 18, 2022 (Day 7)
- Apr. 27, 2022 (Day 6)
- Apr. 21, 2022 (Day 5)
- Apr. 20, 2022 (Day 4)
- Mar. 16, 2022 (Day 3)
- Apr. 22, 2021 (Day 2)
- Feb. 25, 2021 (Day 1)
For a timeline of activity, please click the bargaining group buttons to the right.
Frequently Asked Questions
History of Salary Increases at MHC
|2022||not settled||not settled||3%**|
|2021||not settled||not settled||0%|
|2020||not settled||not settled||0%|
*April 1, 2016 - AB government implemented wage freeze for non-union employees. In effect until June 30, 2022.**In June 2022, the AB government notified PSIs of a modification to the compensation framework for non-union employees effective April 1, 2022.