What is an internship?
An internship is a temporary work opportunity for students to gain first-hand experience in their respective fields and apply the knowledge they have acquired in their program in a professional setting.
The Medicine Hat College BBA Internship is an optional 12-16-week paid work experience for students enrolled at MHC in our collaborative Bachelor of Business Administration program with Mount Royal University. Internships occur over the summer months (May-Aug) and are paid by the employer at minimum wage or higher.
The internship takes place between years 1 and 2 of the degree program (years 3 and 4 at MHC), giving students relevant experience based on their field of study. It is supervised and evaluated by MHC’s Department of Business and the employer.
Why participate in an internship?
An internship provides many benefits:
- It helps students recognize career pathways and opportunities available after graduation
- Adds strength and depth to their resume by giving them valuable work experience to stand out in a competitive labour market
- Allows students to make industry connections early on in their career
- Helps students develop highly sought after transferable skills in a real world setting
To be eligible for an internship, you must:
- be completed first year of MHC/MRU BBA program AND be registered to start 2nd year in the fall semester
- be enrolled in a minimum course load of 9 credits
- agree to represent MHC with appropriate professional conduct
Benefits for employers
- Increase productivity and efficiency by releasing senior staff from day-to-day workloads
- Preview a candidate’s potential to find new talent faster and boost your employer brand
- Groom recruits to develop competencies to be career ready
- Foster skill develop in your employees (leadership, mentoring, evaluation etc.)
- Contribute to your organization’s success and growth by bringing in a fresh perspective
Support provided by MHC
The Department of Business at MHC will oversee the program and assist students and employers
- We prepare all candidates with pre-employment workshops
- Employers select candidates on a competitive interview basis
- Employers are under no obligation to accept any candidates interviewed
- We consult employers in monitoring and evaluation procedures
What's required from employers
- A safe working environment
- Compensation for interns at minimum wage or above
- Guaranteed employment of 30-35hrs a week for 12-16 weeks over the summer (May-Aug)
- Suitable employment opportunities for interns
If you are interested in getting involved please fill out the form:
The application deadline is Feb. 8, 2019. For more information, please contact: