Computerized Bookkeeping Certificate
Bookkeepers are responsible for handling the financial records of a company or organization, including recording financial transactions, organizing files and maintaining accounting software programs. This program will prepare students for entry level positions in accounts receivable and accounts payable departments, payroll units, income tax firms, and financial services organizations.
Employers: This program is eligible for the Canada-Alberta Job Grant, which reimburses two-thirds of your employee's training costs.
About This Program
This is a non-credit program offered in-class on a part-time basis. Courses are delivered in the day or evening to accommodate your schedule. For more information or to register, call registration at 403.529.3844 or visit Continuing Studies. Courses can be found under the Computer & Technology section.
Bookkeeping is a service that is in demand by corporate and small business, industry and non-profit groups alike. This program will put you in a good position to work as a bookkeeper, either in your own business or for employment in entry-level bookkeeping positions. Positions include Accounting Clerk, Accounts Payable Clerk, Accounts Receivable Clerk, Audit Clerk, Billing Clerk, Finance Clerk, Invoice Clerk, Tax Clerk, Tax Return Preparer.
According to the 2015 Alberta Wage and Salary Survey, Albertans in the Bookkeeper occupational group earned a starting wage from $22.45 - $32.28 an hour. The average wage was $24.57 an hour. (www.alis.alberta.ca/wageinfo)
Courses & FeesFor upcoming dates and times and to register for courses, please click here.
Introduction to Bookkeeping & Sage 50 - Level 1
Tuition: $770+ GST (Combine & save price for Introduction to Bookkeeping & Sage 50 - Level 1)
Hours: 48 hours
Introduction to Bookkeeping
Introductory theory-based course designed for individuals who will be doing books for small businesses. Delivers the necessary theory and fundamental practices to pursue computerized bookkeeping projects.
- Understand the accounting cycle and accepted practices
- Enter transactions into journals including: Accounts Receivable/Payable, Inventory & Payroll transactions
- Post to ledgers
- Prepare trial balances and financial statements
- Complete year end procedures
Sage 50 - Level 1
A hands-on business simulation in which students will create and post a complete set of books using Sage 50.
- Set up and maintain a company’s books
- Enter transactions in all journals of Sage 50Correct and adjust entries
- Produce reports and statements
- Pre/Co-requisite: Introduction to Bookkeeping, or understanding of double entry bookkeeping and recording debits and credits.
Sage 50: Level 2 & Reconciliations
Tuition: $290+ GST (Combine & save price for Sage 50: Level 2 & Reconciliation)
Hours: 9 hours
Sage 50 - Level 2
The tips and tricks of Sage 50 will get the software doing more of the work for you. Features include:
- Program security
- Recurring entries
- Make CCRA payments for payroll and GST
- Prepare budget reports
- Job costing or departmentalized tracking
- Record the sale of service
- Credit cards and sales taxes
Prerequisite: Sage 50 Level 1
Sage 50 Reconciliations
Use the bank reconciliation and deposit slip features to automate your banking transactions and any journal entries they produce. This feature is versatile and can be used to reconcile any account that includes statements, including credit cards.
Prerequisites: Sage 50 Level 2
Sage 50: Managing Payroll
Tuition: $290+ GST
Hours: 12 hours
Take advantage of the full power of the Sage 50 Payroll module!
- Suitable for those using Simply Accounting
- Set up different pay periods and pay types for employees
- Record employee benefits and deductions in addition to Revenue Canada
- Set up payroll authorities to remit any employee deductions
- Produce records of employment, and year end reports, including T4s and T4 summaries
Prerequisites: Sage 50 Level 1
QuickBooks – Level 1 & Level 2
Tuition: $430+ GST (Combine & save price for QuickBooks – Level 1 & Level 2)
Hours: 18 hours
QuickBooks – Level 1
QuickBooks is a very commonly used accounting program in business. Many accountants are suggesting the program to their clients because it is easy to use, even for those with only basic bookkeeping skills. This course is a hands-on practical application of the program that will give you the confidence to set up and maintain a set of company books.
Pre-requisite: Introduction to Bookkeeping or equivalent knowledge
QuickBooks - Level 2
Use QuickBooks to its full extent. Features include:
- Program security & multi-user capabilities
- Recurring entries
- Make CRA remittance for GST and Payroll
- Prepare Budget reports
- Process credit card transactions
- Reconciling the bank
Prerequisite: QuickBooks Level 1
Microsoft Excel Level 1: Spreadsheet Solutions
Tuition: $195 + GST
You can improve the function and appearance of your spreadsheets by:
- Attractively format and print your spreadsheets
- Create formulas and functions
- Understand relative and absolute addresses in formulas
- Use multiple sheets in one workbook
Prerequisite: Fundamentals of Microsoft Excel or equivalent experience.
ed2go online equivalent: Introduction to Microsoft Excel 2019/Office 365
Microsoft Excel: Formulas and Functions
Tuition: $195 + GST (Combine & save price for Microsoft Excel Level 1)
Improve your formula writing skills so that you can create worksheets that are more efficient.
- Understand the math behind functions & formulas so you can create better spreadsheets
- Create seemingly complex formulas and functions with ease
- Practice your new formula writing skills using various real world examples
Prerequisite: Microsoft Excel Level 1.
With 75% achievement on all required courses a Computerized Bookkeeping Certificate will be earned. All classes will have a minimum attendance requirement. Where no prerequisite is identified, individual courses of interest may be taken.
Certificate exams are required for each computer course. The Certificate exam fee is $15 + GST per exam. Pre-registration is required. Re-tests will be treated as challenge exams. Pass Mark: 75%.
Microsoft courses can be challenged. The challenge exam fee is $75 + GST per exam.
Upon successful completion of the required courses, students must apply for the certificate by contacting the Continuing Studies Office at 403.529.3874.
There are no formal academic requirements for this program.