The Province of Alberta declared a state of public health emergency on Nov. 22, announcing new measures to protect the health care system and reduce the rising spread of COVID-19.
The well-being of the campus community is our highest priority. Medicine Hat College is monitoring this situation closely and working across college departments as we continue to act on public health measures established by the Alberta Government.
Your active participation in COVID-19 prevention - both on and off campus - is important. Please take time to review information about college protocols and resources on this page and check back often as information is subject to change without notice.
At a Glance
- Wear a mask on campus (NEW)
- Review decision-making resources
- Bring ID to access campus
- Practice good hygiene
Wear a mask
As cases continue to rise in our region, MHC has made the decision to implement a mandatory mask environment on campus.
Effective Wednesday, Nov. 25, MHC will require all individuals on campus in Medicine Hat or Brooks to wear a mask in common areas including hallways, washrooms, elevators, study spaces, and any other area where a distance of 2m cannot be maintained.
Masks may only be removed:
- In a classroom, lab, or meeting room once seated and 2m of distance is maintained.
- In an office or workspace if alone, or if appropriate barriers are in place.
- While eating, drinking, or exercising in the fitness centre.
Disposable masks will be available for those who arrive without one, but we ask everyone to come prepared when working or learning on campus.
It is recognized this change in operations will be met with mixed feelings, however, Medicine Hat College is committed to doing what it can to create a safe environment for those who need to be on campus. Please help us do what we do best – support and serve students.
We appreciate your understanding and ask for your continued respect and consideration of these efforts and of each other.
Make safe decisions
Decision trees have been developed for employees, supervisors, instructors and students at MHC. Have questions about how to proceed when experiencing COVID-related symptoms, or how to respond when notified by someone who is feeling ill? Check out the resources below for more information.
Bring ID / sign in to access campusMedicine Hat
- Employees who have a swipe card (proxy card/fob) may enter/exit though any electronic access door, there is no requirement to scan in/out at security. All other employees must scan in at the main entrance, but can leave from any exit.
- Students are asked to enter through the main doors.
- Those who do not have a college ID will be asked to leave their name and office number with security personnel and will be required to wear an access pass while on campus.
- For updates about available services and amenities at the Medicine Hat campus, please click here.
- Employees and students can enter through the main doors. Guests of PD's can access the restaurant through the northeast door by the tennis courts.
- For updates about available services and amenities at the Brooks campus, please click here.
Practice good hygiene
- Stay home and away from others if you are feeling ill
- Washing your hands
- Avoid contact with your face
- Cough into your elbow or shoulder
- Sanitize high touch areas of your workspace, vehicle and home
- Contact your primary health provider or 811 Health Link if you have questions or concerns about your health
Coming on campus?Please complete our COVID-19 orientation for information regarding safety and prevention measures. Please click the button below to begin the orientation.
Provincial Quick Links
- Alberta Health Services Updates
- COVID-19 info for Albertans
- Cases in Alberta
- Targeted Public Health Measures
- Province of Alberta (Help in Tough Times)