New Student Orientation
My First Four Weeks
Your Guide to MHC
Welcome! You've been admitted to your program and are registered for your courses… now what? In this section, we will go over everything you will need to know in your first month as a Medicine Hat College student.
Medicine Hat College’s COVID-19 policy verification process allows students requiring ongoing access on campus to validate proof of vaccination, or negative rapid test, or approved medical exemption.
To complete the online process, simply:
- sign in using your MHC email and password,
- select the type of proof being submitted,
- indicate the number of doses received, date of test, or confirmation of exemption,
- and upload supporting documentation.
Complete the verification process using the online form here and watch your email for confirmation of validation.
Note: Students who have not completed the COVID-19 policy verification process may lose access to their student account, including Blackboard, so it is important to get this done as soon as possible!
The first week of post-secondary can be overwhelming for some students however, if you follow our tips below, you are sure to feel prepared and enjoy the experience!
Get your virtual Student ID card:
Student IDs are very important for students for a number of reasons. They serve as your photo ID, proof of your college student status, your library card, and much more. Additionally, many businesses in Medicine Hat such as restaurants and retail stores will offer a student discount so be sure to carry your student ID with you at all times!
- To obtain your virtual ID card, simply log into your Dashboard to update your ID online. You will be able to upload a photo for your ID, and have a fully virtual card. This virtual card can be used to scan in through security for building access. While there is an option to have a physical card printed out (and picked up from the library), it is unnecessary when you have the virtual card.
Get your textbooks & course supplies:
Textbooks, course materials, MHC merchandise and other supplies and gift ware items are available for purchase at the Bookstore. Purchase in-person or order ahead online at bookstore.mhc.ab.ca and pick up when you arrive!
Get your Parking Pass:
Are you driving to campus for blended classes and labs? Rather than paying daily fees (or worse, getting a ticket), be sure to purchase a parking pass.
- Purchase a parking pass online through the HotSpot app or website https://htsp.ca/ or visit the Bookstore to purchase in person.
- For more information on MHC Parking Services, including more detailed information on the HotSpot app, please visit: https://www.mhc.ab.ca/AboutMHC/CampusAmenities/ParkingServices.
Rent a Locker:
If you are carrying a lot of textbooks and course supplies, you may consider renting a locker to store books and other belongings.
- Visit the Student’s Association in Room F113 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on renting a locker.
Access your schedule:
You’ve worked hard to build a schedule that works for you, but are you wondering where to find it?
- Login to your Student Dashboard and view your current schedule.
- Want to sync your schedule to your phone? Follow these simple steps: https://youtu.be/2sUnfrifa4s
Download the MHC Safety app on your phone!
The MHC Safety shares important safety alerts and provides instant access to campus safety resources.
- Download from the app store: https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/mhc-safety/id1231597561
Introduce yourself to your instructor and make connections with your classmates.
Week 1 Checklist
- Get your Student ID from the library
- Get your textbooks and course supplies from The Bookstore
- Purchase your parking pass online through HotSpot
Class and Schedule Changes
Not enjoying an elective you chose or want to join a different time? January 12 is your last chance to add classes and January 19 is your last chance to drop classes without penalty. Be sure to meet with your academic advisor prior to making changes to ensure it will not affect your year.
Already have health insurance? Students may choose to double up benefit plans or opt out. January 19 is the last day to opt out of your MHC health and dental plan. Opt out online at https://studentbenefits.ca, click SAMHC and opt out. You will need your student ID Number and proof of your existing health insurance plan.
Pay TuitionREMINDER! January 19 is your last day to pay without penalty. You can pay your tuition using the following methods:
- Pay Online/Internet Banking- Your Student ID will be your account number
- Pay via Telephone Banking
- Visit the Registration Desk. We accept cash, cheque/money order and debit.
- Mail a cheque to the Registrar’s Office
Week 2 Checklist:
- Make any last minute schedule additions before January 12 and drop any final classes before January 19.
- Make changes to Health Insurance (if applicable).
- Pay your tuition (if you haven’t already).
Below are just some of the commonly used resources available to you, but there are so many more! While we will be covering more in the Supports & Services section of orientation, find a full overview of all the resources available to students, on this page of the website.
Materials & Supplies:
Whether you need to pick up course supplies or want to buy MHC gear, The Bookstore is the place for all your purchases.
- The Bookstore is located across from the security desk near the main entrance and online at https://bookstore.mhc.ab.ca/
Library Supports & Services
Working on a research paper or a group project? The library’s got you covered!
- Access citation and research help by stopping in, through online chat or booking a one-on-one appointment.
- Make use of seating to work individually or with other students! Drop in computers are also available, or grab one of our group study rooms for a quiet space to study or work on a group presentation.
- Need an item from the library? Use our self-service hold pickup! You may request materials and library staff pull these items from the shelves and sign them out for you to pick up.
- Having troubles with your computer? Contact our IT Support team for assistance.
Stop by the library while you are on campus or take advantage of our virtual resources through the library’s website.
Know Your Dates & DeadlinesBe sure to go through all of your courses and write down your deadlines. This will help you stay on track, avoid stress and keep your grades up.
Week 3 Checklist
- Write down all of your deadlines in your calendar, agenda or phone to ensure you stay on top of all assignments and exams.
- Book an appointment with support services, such as the Academic Coach and/or Writing Specialist to help with your studies and writing.
- Become familiar with our Supports & Services.
Health & Wellness
Want to get in a good workout? Our Fitness Centre offers a large selection of cardio and weight equipment and access is free for current MHC students! Learn more about Sport & Wellness options under Supports & Services section!
Students at MHC are always encouraged to get involved to boost your resume, connect with your peers and elevate your student experience. The Students' Association provides you with the opportunity to either join a club or create your own! For more information about the current clubs at MHC and how to sign up, be sure to check out the following link: https://samhc.ca/clubs/
Week 4 Checklist
- Review all of the clubs at MHC and decide which you would like to join (or create)!
Need help finding your way around MHC?
Join our recruiter Landon for a guided tour of Medicine Hat and Brooks campuses.
Now that you're in the know about your first four weeks at MHC, you're ready to learn about the supports and services available to enhance your experience and aid in your academic and personal success.
SUPPORTS & SERVICES