News and Events
Federal funding announced to support MHC expansion
October 2, 2020
With support recently announced from the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program (ICIP), shovels will soon break ground for the highly anticipated Health, Wellness, and Athletics Expansion (HWAE) at Medicine Hat College (MHC).
The HWAE project will see investment in health and wellness facilities and simulation spaces in the east campus, as well as the creation of a cultural hub for the college and community with new, appropriately designed spaces dedicated to Indigenous learning and events.
“This project has been years in the making and we are excited to turn a new page in MHC’s history. The college has long pursued the goal of providing enhanced facilities for athletics, wellness, Indigenous learning and related programs, and this project is an important step forward as we deliver on our purpose of growing a vibrant future with learners and our region,” says Kevin Shufflebotham, president and CEO.
“We are grateful for the support of both the provincial and federal governments in bringing this valuable project to life.”
Phase 1 Highlights:
- Access to the gym will be significantly improved with passenger and cargo elevators replacing the existing wheelchair lift.
- Health and wellness facilities will be enhanced and expanded.
- Advanced simulation spaces used in a variety of programs will see expansion and renovation.
- Cultural components of the project will support cross-curricular educational activity directly aligned to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action and provide a unique venue to honour and celebrate Indigenous culture and history.
With a total budget of $8 million, funded by ICIP, a provincial grant and capital reserves, the design is well-suited to accommodate further expansion as needed in the future.
- Province of Alberta: $4.3 million (grant funding secured from the provincial government in 2017 to address accessibility issues)
- Government of Canada (ICIP): $1.56 million (announced in October 2020)
- Medicine Hat College: $2.14 million (from board approved restricted reserve)
Construction is scheduled to begin later this fall with an expected completion date in December 2021*.
*This date has been updated from the original story which noted a completion date in September 2021.