Mental Health & Counselling
For the Fall 2020 semester, the counselling department is offering remote counselling sessions (telephone/video) as well as limited services in-person on campus. Students can make an appointment by contacting Landyce Stevenson or Kelly Mills or calling the advising desk at 403.529.3819.
Drop-in counselling sessions are still available on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 1 – 3:30 p.m. Tuesday drop-ins are virtual (Skype) and can be booked online in the 24 hour period before they begin. Thursday drop-ins are in-person but please note that only one student is allowed in the waiting area at a time.
GROUP WELLNESS PROGRAMS
The counselling department will also be offering psycho-educational group programming, both in-person and virtually.
Do you know someone in distress? Not sure how to help?If you know someone who is struggling, please review the following resources to help you identify behaviours of concern and ways to offer support. You can also contact the Student At Risk Support team.
Be There is a free, online educational resource created by Canadian youth mental charity, Jack.org. If a friend finds the courage to reach out to you about their mental health struggles, Be There’s 5 Golden Rules provides a framework for how to support them.
Looking for additional mental health supports during the COVID-19 pandemic? Check out the online resources below:
Now available on Blackboard!
The mental health and counselling department has shared a resource module on Blackboard that includes information about COVID-19, self-help ideas, coping strategies, and a discussion board.
MHC students can access the modules by:
- Logging into Blackboard with their mymhc.ca account
- Clicking on Student Supports located in the Organization Catalogue in the lower left corner of the My Institution page
- Selecting ‘AHealthyPlace_ORG’. From the drop-down arrow, choose enroll and click the submit button on the confirmation page. Once your enrolment is confirmed by a member of the counselling department, you will have access to this resource.
- Mind Control: Managing Your Mental Health During COVID-19
- Dealing with COVID anxiety
- Living with worry anxiety amidst global uncertainty
- Managing stress and anxiety
Relaxation & Meditation
Counselling Services are located with Academic Advising on the main floor of the Centre Core building.
To book or cancel an appointment, please call 403.529.3819.
Confidential Voice Mail
To leave a confidential voice message for the counsellor, call 403.529.3935.
To contact the Student Support Specialist in Brooks, call 403.362.1697.