Discover your home away from home.
Welcome to Medicine Hat College Residence! We invite you to experience MHC to the fullest by living on campus during your time with us. Convenient, well-equipped and affordable, living in residence is the smart choice for MHC students. Take a virtual walk through our residence units:
Fall 2022 Residence Check-In
- Monday, Aug. 29
- Tuesday, Aug. 30
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. at the Residence Office, located at 13A Primrose Dr. SE.
Residence units are available for short-term rental during the summer.Learn More...
The Medicine Hat College Student Residence aims to deliver the College mandate of delivering exceptional educational and living experiences for students in residence while protecting their health and safety and minimizing the potential spread of disease within our community. Inevitably, to minimize spread of COVID related health concerns, the student residence have instituted additional standards and guidelines that will be applicable from Fall 2020 as an addendum to the Student Residence Handbook, and the related Student Residence Discipline Procedure and the Student Residence Agreement/Contract clauses.
While the Residence Handbook remains valid, the below COVID related guidelines and standards are incorporated into the Handbook and are applicable to all student residents.
- Adherence to COVID Protocols: All students living in residence are required to comply with health and safety protocols, orders, regulations and health and safety guidelines adopted by the college or student residence as it relates to COVID 19 public health crises. We expect that the guidelines will evolve as the public health crisis evolves.
- Health and Safety: We expect that all residents will act in a manner that demonstrates respect and consideration for the health and safety of all residence community members. This means that all students are prohibited from engaging in activities that can potentially jeopardize the health or safety of others. Engaging in such activities may attract heavy financial sanction or be required a resident to leave residence. To mitigate such possibilities the college imposes the following:
- Guest Ban – Until advised otherwise, the residence imposes a “NO GUEST” policy inside or outside the residence units. This applies to ANY guest, even study buddies (day or night), not just overnight stays, and is effective immediately. A violation of this policy will result in a $200 fine.
- No Gatherings of any kind, inside or outside – effective immediately. A violation of this policy will result in a fine of no less than $200 to both the host and attendees.
- *Second offenses may result in eviction
Symptoms: All residents are required to self-monitor their health. In the event you develop symptoms, we require that you isolate immediately and seek medical care. This involves reporting the illness to the Residence Office, complete the Alberta Health Services (AHS) online self-assessment and get tested for Covid-19, and follow the directions of the health care provider.
The resident may be asked to move to an isolation unit within the Residence complex. Regardless of the test result, they will remain there until cleared to move back to their assigned unit.
Based on public health guidelines, we also require the assigned roommate in a unit to quarantine/self-isolate if one person self-isolates.
Failure to report illness or potential COVID related symptoms is a violation of COVID safety protocols and may result in a fine and/or eviction from residence.
- Quarantine / Isolation: At any time, the college may request or require a resident to leave their assigned unit to a quarantine/isolation space when that resident’s continued presence in the unit may pose a health or safety risk for the other residents. Removal from an assigned unit to isolate or quarantine does not constitute a termination of a residential student’s Rental Agreement/Contract. A resident will be required to comply with requests to leave their assigned space due to COVID or other public health emergency. As well, quarantine/isolated student(s) must adhere to all laid down rules, procedures, related to isolation and quarantine. Failure to do so is a violation of the COVID safety protocol and will result in a fine and/or eviction from residence.
- Cleaning: In addition to our regular cleaning policy outlined in the Residence Handbook, students will be expected to disinfect surfaces on a frequent basis with Lysol or clorox (i.e. door knobs, handles on cupboards, fridge, stove, faucets, microwave, washer/dryer, light switches, counters.Note:An instruction sheet will be included in the move-in package.MHC Residence will continue to implement and modify its cleaning protocols to address COVID or other public health emergency in the interest of minimizing the spread of disease. Failure to keep your unit clean will attract a financial sanction of not less than $100. A cleaning crew will be dispatched to clean and disinfect the unit at the resident’s cost.
- Termination: Upon reasonable notice, the college reserves the right to terminate Residence Contracts due to public health emergency needs, including COVID. In the event college terminates housing contracts due to public health concerns, the college will offer fair and reasonable reimbursements for impacted students as appropriate and based on information available at that time.
Download Residence Handbook
MHC's online residence application, StarRez, is the easiest way to reserve your space in residence this fall.
Join MHC recruitment coordinator, Landon Heilman, for a guided tour of our Couleeview and Golfview residences.
The Student Residence Office compiles a list of off-campus housing. Medicine Hat College accepts listings of accommodations from landlords for our students' convenience but does not check the accommodations listed in any way and takes no responsibility for the actions of any landlord who advertises on this list, or for the condition of the rental accommodations listed. Selection of off-campus accommodations and rental agreements are the sole responsibility of the student renter.